Science Walks/Science Talks is proud to present the 2016 Lismore National Tree Day! Join landcare and local bush regenerators, naturalists, botanists and ecologists at the South Lismore Duckpond. Come and see the amazing wetland restoration project and learn more about what you can do to help!
When: Sunday, July 31 2016. 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Where: South Lismore Duckpond Ostrom Street, South Lismore
Lismore Tree Day Festival is a major event for Science Walks / Science Talks working together with local landcare, bush regenerators, naturalists, botanists and ecologists we will celebrate National Tree Day at the South Lismore Duckpond. Come along and join in all the fun with tree planting, stalls and activities, food and entertainment! Come and see the amazing wetland restoration project and learn more about what you can do to help!
This FREE event is brought you by the Wilsons River Landcare Group Inc, South Lismore Landcare Group, Richmond Landcare Inc., Conservation Volunteers, Wetland Care Australia and supported by Lismore Lions, Planet Ark, Northern Rivers Science Hub, Inspiring Australia and the NSW Government.
Contact the Hub to find out how you can get involved!
Science Walks Science Talks presents a range of events for National Science Week including:
The Science of Sound …
Science Walks/Science Talks presents the Science of Sound – in partnership with the Northern Rivers Conservatorium. In this hands on workshop, award winning composer Andy Downer will take us on a journey of the science of sound. From Early Machines to String Theory and The Harmonic Series. Presented by the Northern Rivers Conservatorium with the Northern Rivers Science Hub. All welcome!
|When:||Wednesday, August 18 2016. 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM|
|Where:||Northern Rivers Conservatorium Dungeon The Quadrangle, 152 Keen Street, Lismore, NSW, 2480|
In this hands on workshop, award winning composer Andy Downer will take us on a journey of the science of sound. From Early Machines to String Theory and The Harmonic Series we will explore Tuning Systems & Rainbows, Fourier & The Spectral Analysis of Waveshapes Chladni & CymaJc Candy, Human vs Machine: Development of Synthesis Systems, Aural Illusions, Human or Machine: 21st Century Technologies. Presented by the Northern Rivers Conservatorium in partnership with the Northern Rivers Science Hub come and join us for this exploration of the Science of Sound.
About the presenter: Andy has a Bachelor of Arts in contemporary music. He was awarded the Dolphin Award for Music and Technology in 1991, and the Mike Perjanik Scholarship for Composition in 1992. He established his own composing and audio production business, A.D.STUDIO, in the year 2000, releasing 11 production music albums for Beatbox Music and five with EMI New York/Quantum Tracks. Andy has scored the music for several documentaries, including James Cameron’s ‘James Cameron’s Vision’, Telcast International’s ‘Komodo, Kingdom of the Dragon’ and ‘Earth TV’, and The Weekend Australian’s ‘Wild Australia’ series. His work airs on both local and international TV and radio.
National Science Week Celebration – Open Day at the Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens and Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre.
Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens Open Day and Recycled Market – Saturday 20 August 9am – 1pm at the Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre, 313 Wyrallah Road East Lismore.
In celebration of National Science Week, the Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens is holding an open day full of activities, including:
– The Nicholson’s Rainforest Plant Identification Key 10-12:30. Please book prior by phone 668 86204 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Viewing plants under an electronic microscope
– Catching Water Critters to assess water quality with Barbara Jensen
– Displays by the Friends of the Koala in Eucalypt Forest
– Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens Plant, Books and Cards Stall
– Potting up seedlings in the Biocycle Organic Compost
– Discovery activities for children
– Walking trails to explore the various garden areas
– Tours of the Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre – including the Materials recovery Facility where the regions recycling is separated and sorted, as well as the Organics Processing facility where we make beautiful Biocycle organic compost from your food and gardens scraps and the Lismore Recycled Market. Bus tours run at 10:00am, 11:00am, and 12:00pm from the Environment Education Centre.
– The Lismore Recycled Market will also be running so you can check out the innovative ways people have upcycled and repurposed their wares into colourful fashion, jewellery, furniture, homewares and more.
– Recycled craft
– Coffee, food stalls and live music
– Bring a picnic and make use of the BBQ facilities in the Botanic Gardens
|When:||Saturday, August 20 2016. 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM|
|Where:||Lismore Rainforest Botanic Gardens Wyrallah Road, East Lismore, NSW, 2480|
White Coats on for Water Science – in partnership with Dorroughby Environmental Education Centre
Science Walks/Science Talks is proud to present White Coats on for Water Science as part of National Science Week. Bend a pencil! Make music with water! Create a magic star! Sip water with a mega straw. Pop into Ballina Fair for a Science Popup Event with Dorroughby Environmental Education Centre.
|When:||Saturday, August 13 2016. 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM|
|Where:||Ballina Fair 84 Kerr Street, Ballina, NSW, 2478|
- Bend a pencil, make words bigger – just add water! Make water play tricks on your eyes and brain.
- Make music with water – turn glasses of water into instruments and experiment with making music to help find out how sound works.
- Create a magic star – with just a few toothpicks and water drops
- Sip water with a mega straw – how long can you make a drinking straw that works?
Free fun for the whole family!
Science Walks/ Science Talks events are presented FREE to the community by the Northern Rivers Science Hub and the member groups with support from Inspiring Australia.